Monday, September 1, 2008

Mini-safari at Lake Nakuru

Hello my friends, I am just back from my weekend of fun with Juliette and Emily (a fellow medical student at Kijabe). We had a great time, I feel like we had a real holiday, but as usual I have come home exhausted.

So it was Alisa the american's last day on Friday, and we made a big dinner of spaghetti bolognaise and then had ice cream with real chocolate sauce. It was very special and a nice way to send her off. She left the following morning for a weekend in Nairobi before she flew out on Sunday. So now we are down to four!

Juliette drove up to meet me in Kijabe on Saturday morning and we got on the road to Nakuru by about 9am. We drove through a wee town called Naivasha on the way and stopped for some photos, then headed for Lake Nakuru National park. You pay about $40 US to get into the park, and then can drive freely around checking out animals to your heart's delight. Lake Nakuru is famous for it's flamingos, but unfortunately it's hard to get close enough for good photos. They are so beautiful though, lining the lake with bright pink feathers.




Lake Nakuru lined by Flamingos



We also saw Zebra, warthogs, wildebeast, water buffalos, rhinos, antelope, impala, grouse and gazelles. Unfortunately we missed out on seeing Giraffe and lions, so I guess I'll have to wait for the Masai Mara. A picture is worth a thousand words they say, so here are a few...




Mama and baby rhino




Zebra




Zebra and Pelicans at the water hole




Gazelles on the plains





Emily and I at Mwabira Waterfall





Water Buffalo covered in mud




Lake Nakuru from Lion Hill lookout



We caught up with Juliette's family in the evening and ended up staying at this guest house near Lake Elementaita. On sunday morning we enjoyed a lavish sleep in, a long hot shower and a late breakfast, and then we set off for a more relaxed day. We drove back into Lake Naivasha Country club, and had lunch in the sun. It is such a gorgeous place,with a big lawn covered in Acacia trees, Juliette wants to get married there. We went for a walk down to the lakeside where we saw a couple of hippos playing around, and then went for a swim (in the pool, not the lake!).





Hippos on Lake Naivasha





Juliette and I at Lake Naivasha




After whiling the day away in the sun, we made our way back to Kijabe and here I am! Today I had a good start to Obstetrics and Gynae with an emergency caesarean section within the first hour. I think I'm gonna enjoy myself, although the 6am starts are a killer! Hope you are all doing very well back home, and just before I leave, I have to gloat... My little sister just informed me that WGC won the National Stage Challenge! WGC is number one, don't mess with number one!


Okay, enough now, love to you all,
Chlo




PS. Tiki my travelling mascot. Just so you know I brought I piece of New Zealand with me! Shout out to Lisa Bathgate.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday big sister! Hope your having one wicked fricking exciting and stupendous time over in Africa. Have you got that gun Jordan told you to buy yet?? Haha love you lots and I’ll hook you up with a mean gift when i see you next, probably when we're both back for your wedding! haha your way to old.. I would have sent this to your email but I honestly can't remember it so i hope you get this when you check facebook next. I'll post it on your blog too. Now you look after yourself and if any mean guys with big knives ask you where your going look them straight in the eye, reach into your shirt as if pulling out a gun and ask them, "do you know the frick i am?" Haha your awesome love you tons! God bless and don't forget you've got all our prayers behind you : )
Lukey boy ay!

leesa_bathgate said...

yaya!!! to tiki i just read al your blogs it sounds like your having a amazing time!!! i cant believe i didnt find ur site earlier!!! and man does work at 6am sound challenging GO U!!! i couldnt hack it, i especially love all the wildlife pictures incrediable!!