Monday, August 18, 2008

I have arrived!

Jambo everyone, habari (how are you)? Niko salama (i'm well) I have arrived safely in Kenya! I spent a night in Nairobi with my friend Juliette (whom I lived with while at university) and then travelled to Kijabe Hospital about 45 mins north of Nairobi the next day.

Kijabe is run by missionaries from all over the world, and funded by donations. It has the largest paediatric neruosurgery service in Africa, doing lots of operations of kiddies who are born with spina bifida and hydrocephalus (water on the brain). I have started on the general medical team, and am already having an amazing learning experience. I think I've learnt more about HIV/AIDS in the last week than I have in my entire time at medical school. It truly is a huge problem here, but with access to newer medications and lots of education, hopefully one that can be minimised in time. After my time in general medicine, I'll spend three weeks in Obstetrics and Gynaecology, and then four weeks in Paediatrics, with a week long break/Safari with Jules somewhere along the way! There will surely be more stories to follow.

Over the weekend Juliette took me back into Nairobi to attend my first real african wedding! Although to be honest, this was not your typical African wedding by any standards. The bride was a gospel singer, the groom a music producer and their 10 bridesmaids and groomsmen formed a huge gospel band that stood on a huge stage erected in the middle of the church. They band sang the bride down the aisle and as she arrived she took the microphone and led the congregation in a couple of full on gospel worship songs. It was incredible!

Now I am back in my wee home in Kijabe where I live with four other medical students. I'm loving the african food, especially the mangoes and pineapple I just bought for $80 shillings ($1.50). Bring it!

All thats left to say is that I am loving Africa so far, it's wild! I hope you all get the chance to spend some time here.

Love to you all, keep me in your prayers. Kwaheri!

4 comments:

Daniel Kyles said...

Great to hear it's been going well so far :)
Keep us posted on how it's going.
All the best!

Anonymous said...

Your blog is a good idea Chloe, I shall be reading it with great interest. I didn't realise you could get tropical fruit in Africa. I suppose they grow strawberries and avocados so it's not that weird if you think about it.

Anonymous said...

Good to hear that you're enjoying it Chlo! It sounds so interesting, can't wait to read more :) xxx

ashwin said...

$1.50 for how many mangoes? they are the best ever.
good to hear you're well chloe. sounds like yourhaving an awesome time.